SIERRA HD POWERTRAINS
A Vortec 6.0L petrol V8 with variable valve timing is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission as the standard powertrain across the Sierra HD model range. This combination delivers excellent performance and efficiency, with an emphasis on low-rpm performance. It is rated at 268kw (360hp) and 515nm (380lb-ft) of torque.
The bi-fuel version of the 6.0L engine – known by its LC8 engine code – features special hardened valves and valve seats that enables it to run on compressed natural gas (CNG) or gasoline. The Duramax 6.6L diesel and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission powertrain combination is available on all 2500HD and 3500HD models. Highlights of the Duramax diesel include:
- 296kw (397hp) at 3,000 rpm
- 1,037nm (765lb-ft) of torque at 1,600 rpm
- High-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system for greater fuel efficiency, improved performance and reduced emissions
- Exhaust brake system that enables controlled vehicle slowdown on downhill grades without actuating the brakes
- Selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection to provide the best overall diesel characteristics and performance – with a range of about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) between DEF refills
- Combustion and after-treatment have been optimised to provide about 1,125km (700 miles) between diesel particulate filter regenerations – a 75-percent improvement over the previous system and significant contributor to improved fuel efficiency, as the regeneration process requires additional fuel
- B20 biodiesel capability for an alternative fueling option.
- The Allison 1000 features driver shift control with tap up/tap down shifting and a patented elevated idle mode cab warm-up feature. Also, the tow/haul mode reduces shift cycling for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
SIERRA HD CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
All Sierra HD models feature fully boxed frame assemblies – 18 different assemblies that accommodate all of the range’s configurations. The front sections are hydroformed.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Front gross axle weight rating up to 2,721kg (6,000lb), enabling a snow plow to be used on all 4WD cab configurations with the available snow plow prep package
- Short-long arm/torsion bar front suspension features forged steel upper control arms and precision-machined cast iron lower control arms
- Five different torsion bar rates support five different front gross axle weight ratings to help stabilize the range of trim heights of various models under load, while enhancing appearance, handling, durability, tire wear and alignment. The trim height is adjusted on each bar via a single bolt, easily allowing the height to be changed to account for the weight of a snow plow or other accessories
- An upper shock mount attachment design that’s positively connected to the frame with two fasteners, eliminating squeaks and clunks, while supporting higher load capability and increased durability
- Asymmetrical leaf-spring design that minimises axle hop and enhances traction control efficiency
- Two-stage leaf-spring design on 2500HD models and three-stage design on 3500HD model. All models feature 3-inch-wide (76 mm) leaf springs
- Z71 Off Road suspension is available on SLE and SLT models and includes 35mm deflective disk twin-tube shock absorbers, off-road jounce bumpers, 33mm front stabiliser bar and a skid plate package
- Four-wheel disc brakes with hydroboost are standard on all models
- Four-wheel, four-channel ABS is standard on all single-rear-wheel models and a three-channel system is standard on dual-rear-wheel modelsThe frame-mounted hitch for conventional trailering has a box-tube design and supports up to 8,164kg (18,000lb).
SIERRA HD EXTERIOR FEATURES
Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD models are distinguished by a power dome-style hood with a louvered design, as well as a wide grille with chrome accents and full-width chrome steel front bumper. A lineup of 17- (Dually), 18- and 20-inch wheel/tire combinations are offered. Standard and available exterior features also include:
- Heated outside mirrors are available on all models; heated outside and power-adjustable vertical camper-style mirrors with turn signal indicators are available on 2500HD SLE, SLT and Denali and standard on 3500HD SLE, SLT and Denali models
- Front recovery hooks are standard on all models
- EZ-Lift locking tailgate feature is available on all models
- Seventeen-inch steel wheels are standard on 2500HD Work Truck and all 3500HD SRW models
- Seventeen-inch chrome-clad steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck
- Seventeen-inch machine-finish aluminium wheels are standard on 2500HD SLE
- Seventeen-inch forged polished aluminium wheels are standard on 3500 Denali HD with dual rear wheels and available on SLE and SLT with dual rear wheels
- Eighteen-inch painted steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck and standard on 3500HD Work Truck with SRW with the 6.0L engine (available with Duramax diesel)
- Eighteen-inch forged polished aluminium wheels are standard on 2500HD SLT and Denali models and on 3500HD SRW SLE, SLT and Denali models- Twenty-inch forged polished aluminium wheels are available on 2500HD SLE, SLT and Denali
SIERRA HD INTERIOR FEATURES
Sierra HD models are designed to be comfortable and convenient while on the job, including numerous storage compartments that provide covered access for everything from work gloves to laptops.
For those who work out of their truck, Sierra HDs serve as mobile workspaces, offering mobile WiFi as a dealer-installed option, USB connectivity, Bluetooth for phone connectivity, SiriusXM Satellite Radio and a navigation system. Multiple charge points enable multiple electronic devices to operate simultaneously.
Cold-weather customers warm up more quickly with the Duramax 6.6L engine, which has a starting time on par with gas engines. Its glow plug cycle time takes no more than 3 seconds in temperatures as low as -20 F (-29 C).
Highlights of all models’ standard and available interior features include:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on Denali and SLT and available on SLE; single-zone manual air conditioning is standard on Work Truck and SLE
- CD/DVD/MP3-capable audio system is available on select crew cab models
- Navigation radio with MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and USB port is available on Denali and SLT models
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on SLE, SLT and Denali models and available on Work Truck. SiriusXM NavTraffic feature is available on 2500 SLE, SLT and Denali and 3500 SLT and Denali
- Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity is standard on Denali and SLT models and available on Work Truck and SLE
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on Denali and SLT crew cab models
- Power-adjustable pedals are standard on Denali and available on SLE and SLT models
- Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel
- Remote vehicle starter system is standard on Denali and SLT and available on SLE models
- Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat is standard on Work Truck models and SLE models. SLE includes locking storage in the seat cushion
- Front bucket seats with 10-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on SLT models. Front bucket seats with six-way power adjusters are available on SLE models
- Front bucket seats with 12-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on Denali models
- Leather-wrapped and heated steering wheel is standard on Denali models
SIERRA DENALI HD
Sierra Denali HD models are offered exclusively in the crew cab body style, in regular- and long-box configurations and in 2WD and 4WD. The Duramax diesel/Allison 1000 powertrain is available across the board.
A Denali-specific chrome grille makes the truck instantly recognisable. Additional chrome trim and body-colour bumpers further distinguish it. Sierra Denali also offers a unique combination of interior style and luxury, including standard nuance perforated leather-appointed front seats, with heated and cooled, 12-way power-adjustable front seats and a leather-wrapped, heated steering wheel.
Denali models feature a unique center console, enhanced interior bright work and detailed, highly finished embossed sill plates. The center console has woodgrain trim and a lid that conceals the cupholders, creating a more finished and refined appearance.