SILVERADO HD POWERTRAINS
A Vortec 6.0L petrol V8 with variable valve timing is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission as the standard powertrain across the Silverado HD model range. This combination delivers excellent performance and efficiency, with an emphasis on low-rpm performance. It is rated at 360 horsepower (268 kW) and 380 lb.-ft. of torque (515 Nm).
The bi-fuel version of the 6.0L engine – known by its LC8 engine code – features special hardened valves and valve seats that enables it to run on compressed natural gas (CNG) or gasoline. The Duramax 6.6L diesel and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission powertrain combination is available on all 2500HD and 3500HD models. Highlights of the Duramax diesel include:
- 296kw (397hp) at 3,000 rpm
- 1,037nm (765lb-ft) of torque at 1,600 rpm
- High-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system for greater fuel efficiency, improved performance and reduced emissions
- Exhaust brake system that enables controlled vehicle slowdown on downhill grades without actuating the brakes
- Selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection to provide the best overall diesel characteristics and performance – with a range of about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) between DEF refills
- Combustion and after-treatment have been optimised to provide about 1,125km (700 miles) between diesel particulate filter regenerations – a 75-percent improvement over the previous system and significant contributor to improved fuel efficiency, as the regeneration process requires additional fuel
- B20 biodiesel capability for an alternative fueling option.
- The Allison 1000 features driver shift control with tap up/tap down shifting and a patented elevated idle mode cab warm-up feature. Also, the tow/haul mode reduces shift cycling for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
SILVERADO HD CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
All Silverado HD models feature fully boxed frame assemblies – 18 different assemblies that accommodate all of the range’s configurations. The front sections are hydroformed.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Front gross axle weight rating up to 2,721kg (6,000lb), enabling a snow plow to be used on all 4WD cab configurations with the available snow plow prep package
- Short-long arm/torsion bar front suspension features forged steel upper control arms and precision-machined cast iron lower control arms
- Four different torsion bar rates support four different front gross axle weight ratings to help stabilise the range of trim heights of various models under load, while enhancing appearance, handling, durability, tire wear and alignment. The trim height is adjusted on each bar via a single bolt, easily allowing the height to be changed to account for the weight of a snow plow or other accessories
- An upper shock mount attachment design that’s positively connected to the frame with two fasteners, eliminating squeaks and clunks, while supporting higher load capability and increased durability
- Asymmetrical leaf-spring design that minimises axle hop and enhances traction control efficiency
- Two-stage leaf-spring design on 2500HD models and three-stage design on 3500HD model. All models feature 3-inch-wide (76 mm) leaf springs
- Z71 Off Road suspension is available on LT and LTZ models and includes 35mm deflective disk twin-tube shock absorbers, off-road jounce bumpers, 33mm front stabiliser bar and a skid plate package
- Four-wheel disc brakes with hydroboost are standard on all models
- Four-wheel, four-channel ABS is standard on all single-rear-wheel models and a three-channel system is standard on dual-rear-wheel models
- The frame-mounted hitch for conventional trailering has a box-tube design and supports up to 8,164kg (18,000lb).
SILVERADO HD EXTERIOR FEATURES
Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD models are distinguished by a power dome-style hood with a louvered design, as well as a wide grille with chrome surround and full-width chrome steel front bumper. A lineup of 17- (Dually), 18- and 20-inch wheel/tire combinations is offered.
Standard and available exterior features also include:
- Heated outside mirrors are offered on all models; heated outside and power-adjustable vertical camper-style mirrors with turn signal indicators are available on 2500HD LT and LTZ and standard on 3500HD LT and LTZ models
- Front recovery hooks are standard on all models
- EZ-Lift locking tailgate feature is available on all models
- Dual cargo lamps are standard on all models
- Seventeen-inch steel wheels are standard on 2500HD Work Truck and all 3500HD SRW models
- Seventeen-inch chrome-clad steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck
- Seventeen-inch machine-finish aluminium wheels are standard on 2500HD LT
- Seventeen-inch forged polished aluminium wheels are standard on 3500HD LTZ with dual rear wheels and available on LT with dual rear wheels
- Eighteen-inch painted steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck and standard on 3500HD Work Truck with SRW with the 6.0L engine (available with Duramax diesel)
- Eighteen-inch forged polished aluminium wheels are standard on 2500HD LT and LTZ models and on 3500HD SRW LT and LTZ models
- Twenty-inch forged polished aluminium wheels are available on 2500HD LT and LTZThe Z71 appearance package is available on crew cab models when equipped with the Z71 off-road suspension. Content includes 18-inch forged polished aluminium wheels (20-inch wheels available on 2500HD LTZ), all-terrain tires, front fog lamps, body-colour outside mirrors and door handles, body-colour bumper, chrome grille with body-colour surround and a unique Z71 pickup box decal.
SILVERADO HD INTERIOR FEATURES
Silverado HD models are designed to be comfortable and convenient while on the job or on the road, with features including storage compartments that provide covered access for everything from work gloves to laptops.
For those who work out of their truck, or use it for vacations with the family, Silverado HDs offer mobile WiFi, USB connectivity, Bluetooth phone connectivity, SiriusXM Satellite Radio and a navigation system. Multiple charge points enable multiple electronic devices to operate simultaneously.
Cold-weather customers warm up more quickly with the Duramax 6.6L engine, which has a starting time on par with gas engines. Its glow plug cycle time takes no more than 3 seconds in temperatures as low as -20 F (-29 C).
Highlights of all models’ standard and available interior features include:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on LTZ and available on LT; single-zone manual air conditioning is standard on WT
- Navigation radio with AM/FM stereo, MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and USB port is available on LTZ models
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on LT and LTZ models and available on WT
- Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity is standard on LTZ models and available on WT and LT
- Power-adjustable pedals are available on LT and LTZ models.
- Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel
- Remote vehicle starter system is standard on LTZ and available on LT models
- Leather-trimmed front seats are standard on LTZ and available on LT models
- Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat is standard on WT models and LT models
- Front bucket seats with 10-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on LTZ models. Front bucket seats with six-way power adjusters are available on LT models
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LT and LTZ models and available on WT
- Power-operated sunroof is available on LTZ crew cab models Power-operated rear sliding window is available on LT and LTZ models.